Friday, February 21, 2014

The Process

After graduation I took some class to get my gpa higher. And then the process began. I searched and searched for schools to apply. Unfortunately I was not qualified to apply to many of them due to mediocre gpa. This process was hard. I wanted to go to nursing school so bad, but I had kicked myself in the butt by not getting good grades. FINALLY I found a school, who had just received proper accreditation, that I could apply to. Just in time too! I had a week to turn in an application for a July start date. I quickly filled out my application along with all the necessary items that needed to be included and sent it in. Now the waiting begins...

Two weeks after turning in my application I was contacted by the Denver School of Nursing. (This was quicker that usual!) They stated that I had made it through the first part of the admissions process and asked if I was interested in moving to an April start date since there were available spots.  I couldn't believe it!! Not only did I make it past the first part of the admissions process, but now I was moving up to an earlier start date. Of course I said yes to an earlier start date!! 

A week later I was contacted by an admissions representative where I selected a date for an interview and a school tour! I couldn't be more happier. Let me tell you those THREE weeks were the longest weeks of my life. Finally the day came, I had my interview and tour. It was AWESOME!!!! I picked a date to take my entrance exam ( two days after my interview) and was given a book to study from.  The last part of my interview was the school tour!!!  

My next step in the process was taking an entrance exam, the dreaded HESI test. Luckily I had been studying for the test for a month. I WAS READY.

I used this book to help me study! It was a lot of help. It had several other entrance exam tests to study from.

Morning of the test:
I left early because I had to drive in Denver rush hour traffic. Once I got to school I waited in the lobby while other students arrived to take the test. After 20 minutes of waiting in the lobby the proctor came to take us to the computer lab. After almost 3 hours of test taking, I finished my test. I PASSED!!!! I had to get a 75% or higher on the english portion and math portion. I kicked butt with an 84% in both categories and passed with flying colors. After I printed out my test results I went back to my admissions rep to sign a document for enrollment. THIS WAS SOO EXCITING. My highlight of the day was sizing for my scrubs!!

I cant believe that I am FINALLY accepted in to a nursing school. It is so surreal. My next step is to have a meeting with financial aid to iron out all of the kinks. In a few weeks I will have more exciting news about school that I can't wait to share.

TSN ( The Student Nurse)

No comments:

Post a Comment